1847 to 1865..........Chicago Cemetery, Lincoln Park, Chicago, Cook, Illinois, US


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Tree:  

Notes: The Chicago Cemetery, on the grounds of what is now known as Lincoln Park opened in 1847 with 3,136 burial lots. In 1865 the Comon Council ordered the Cemetery closed and the bodies reinterred in one of 6 Cemeteries: Rosehill, 1859, Graceland 1861, or Oak Woods, 1864. Irish Catholics were reinterred in Calvary Cemetery, 1859 in Evanston, IL. The Germans preferred reinterment in St. Boniface, 1863 or St. Henry's, 1863 .

And while, at the time, it was argued that only the Mausoleum of Ira Couch remained, later building on the land uncovered remains of those at rest. Today it is argued that the remans of up to 1,000 souls remain buried under Lincold Park at North Avenue.




This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, created by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2005.